Admit it, you love chicken nuggets and honestly I don’t think I’ve met anyone who doesn’t. Nuggets were always a “treat” for us growing up! If we went to a restaurant it was always chicken nuggets or strips from the kids menu. Always. Once I was too big to order from the kids menu I stopped getting them and actually completely forgot about them, until the other day.
As we all know, most nuggets are made with flour and breadcrumbs and buttermilk, which is fine and dandy unless you want to die after eating dairy and gluten, then eating that is not so fine! So I set out to make something that wouldn’t make me curl up into a little ball. I also wanted to make the flavors completely different than the typical chicken nugget we are all used to……and the mexican chicken nugget was born!
- 1-2 lbs chicken tenders
- 2 limes
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbl lime zest
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 egg, whisked
- OPTIONAL: cilantro
- Cut chicken tenders up into bite size pieces and place into a ziplock bag.
- Add 1 tsp of: oregano, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt. And 1/2 tsp cayenne into a little bowl and mix around. Put spice mixture into ziplock bag.
- Add 1 tbl lime zest and the juice of 1 lime also into the ziplock bag. Close bag, shake it up, and let marinate for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place parchment paper onto a baking sheet.
- Take a bowl and mix almond flour and 1 tsp of oregano, cumin, paprika, and garlic powder. Also mix in 1 tbl lime zest.
- Dredge the chicken pieces first in egg, then lightly coat with almond flour mixture.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with a squeeze of lime and fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
Serve with guacamole or a chipotle mayo. To make chipotle mayo add 1/4 cup mayo and a tsp of chipotle paste.
These nuggets need to be eaten immediately. We all know that a cold chicken nugget is no bueno.
Serve with some cilantro lime cauli-rice, or some grilled onions and bell peppers