Poor little parsnips. I feel like they get the shaft when it comes to using them in recipes.
I’ve used them in stew before and we all loved it, so I figured why not try it as a mash. The consistency was a dead ringer to regular mashed potatoes!
Parsnips taste like a mix between carrot, parsley, and potato. The smaller ones are more sweet and tender.
- •2 lbs parsnips
- •2 cups chicken or veggie broth
- •Bundle of fresh thyme
- •6 cloves garlic, crushed
- •1-2 tbs ghee
- •Salt and pepper
- Chop up parsnips and place in a steamer for 15 min or until fork tender. If you don’t have a steamer, boil just covering parsnips with water.
- While steaming, in a small saucepan, heat up ghee and broth. Stir in crushed garlic and a couple thyme sprigs. Let simmer until parsnips are done.
- Drain parsnips and while using a mixer slowly start pouring in the broth until your get the desired consistency you like.
- Top with some more thyme and a sprinkle of salt!