Thanksgiving has come and gone, and thankfully so have the leftovers! While looking for something to make on this rainy day I came across some cauliflower that had been literally sitting in my fridge for a couple weeks. Thank goodness cauliflower lasts forever, otherwise we would have starved for the night. Especially because there was no way I was going to go out in the rain. (I live in California so this rain thing is just not my thang!)
I’ve dabbled in cauliflower soup before, and it was really good, but I wanted to make it great this time. So great that it would make my kids get on their hands and knees and beg for more!
This soup turned out to be quite impressive and even though my kids never begged, they did ask for 2nds.
- - 2 heads of cauliflower
- - 1 head of garlic, tops cut off for roasting
- - 1 carrot, sliced
- - 1 celery stalk, sliced
- - 1/2 onion, diced
- - 1 tbl garlic powder
- - 1 tbl Italian seasoning
- - 1/2 tbl dried parsley
- - 1/2 tbl salt-
- - 4 cups water
- - peppered bacon (optional), sliced and diced
- - grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°. While preheating, cut cauliflower and place on cookie sheet. Lob off the top of the garlic and wrap the bottom in foil. Drizzle everything with oil (I used avocado oil)
- Place in oven for 15 min turning once in the middle.
- While the cauliflower and garlic are roasting, take a pot and cook diced onion, carrot, and celery until soft.
- Add water and let simmer until cauliflower is done. Take cauliflower out and put into the pot.
- (Side note: garlic may need to cook longer. Mine did, so I stuck it back in the oven for another 10 min)
- Throw in garlic and all the seasonings. - Stir and start smashing the cauliflower up a bit. Take an immersion blender and puree the crap out of it. Depending on how thick you want the soup you may need to add more water.
- If you want you can add bacon pieces into the soup and fresh grated Parmesan cheese.