This Instant Pot Mexican Cabbage Soup is about to blow your mind. Not only because it is delicious, but because it takes under 30 minutes to make.
But wait, there’s more….if you happen to already have shredded chicken it will make the cooking time like 5 minutes. Umm say what?!! Yah, you heard me, 5 minutes! (Sidenote: if you don’t have an Instant Pot, then it’s more like 15 minutes, which is still wicked fast in my mind)
Tomato juice is usually the base of past Mexican soups and cabbage soups I’ve made, which is all good and dandy, but this time I decided to try salsa instead….mostly because I didn’t have tomato soup on hand, but shhhh, using salsa instead can be our little secret, and personally I think it trumps tomato juice.
- 2 lbs chicken, shredded
- 1 cup of water
- 1 head of cabbage shredded or 2 bags of pre-shredded cabbage
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 32 oz of chicken broth
- 3 cups of water
- squeeze of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- OPTIONAL: fresh cilantro
- 1 tbl cumin
- 1 tbl paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Place chicken and in Instant Pot with a cup of water. Add your taco seasonings and close lid
- Press poultry button and let cook 22 min; frozen or 20 minutes; thawed on high pressure.
- Manually release pressure and take a pair of tongs and shred chicken up right in Instant Pot.
- Add broth, water, cabbage, onion, salt, and salsa. Mix well and close lid.
- Press "manual" and cook on high pressure for 2 minutes. Manually release pressure.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with a little more salsa, a squeeze of lime and some fresh cilantro.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot do not fret….you can easily do this in any pot that you have. Cook up your chicken and shred it and then mix everything into the pot and let cook for 10-15 minutes or until cabbage is soft. But not too soft. You still want a little bit of crunch to it.
Also, I think I may go as far as to say that this may be one of my favorite soups I’ve made so far. And I’ve made a lot!! Maybe it’s because I prefer Mexcian flavors over everything else; I blame my mom for only eating Pedro’s (a local Mexican restaurant) when she was pregnant with me. It’s in my blood!!
I’m telling you right now, this will become a staple in your casa….your cocina. I’m already thinking about the next time I’m going to make it for all of us.