This dish came together on a whim the other day when I was “fridge foraging” for something in our house to have for dinner. I already had chicken marinating, but I had no clue what else was going to go with it. And because this was a last minute recipe, I really don’t have much to say except thank goodness this turned out so delicious!! It really is nice when the whole family really likes something that you just winged!
If you are not an okra fan (lets be real though…..you really should be) you may sub with zucchini or asparagus would work too!
- 1 tbl avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 1 bag of frozen okra
- 1 bag of cauli-rice
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- OPTIONAL: cilantro and a squeeze of lime
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbl dried minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbl apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Mix all your seasonings together.
- Place your chicken into a ziplock bag. Add in the seasonings, orange juice, and apple cider vinegar. Let marinate for at least an hour or overnight.
- Get your oil nice and hot in a large skillet.
- Add your chicken pieces and let cook 5-7 min each side or until golden brown. Set aside.
- In the same pan de-glaze it by pouring in your chicken broth. Scrape all the bit off the bottom of the skillet. Let it "reduce" for a few minutes then add in your cauli rice and okra.
- Mix well and then cover for another 5-7 minutes stirring a couple times.
- Once okra and cauli-rice are cooked add your chicken back in and mix together.
- Garnish with some cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
Do your on the whim recipes usually turn out, or do you not even bother making them because they are a complete failure everytime?!!!