We are in the thick of strawberry season (one of my favorites) and I have been buying California Strawberries like they are going outta style. I have to say, I’m pretty lucky to live where I do because nearly every strawberry enjoyed in the United Stated is grown in California; with some of the farms being only 45 minutes away from my house!
Strawberries are such a fantastic fruit. They are absolute perfection in both sweet and savory dishes and they are jam PACKED with nutrition. Like majorly packed. Check out some healthy facts about these heavenly little morsels!
- Strawberries are naturally sweet, but super low in sugar. One serving of strawberries has less than half the sugar of an apple and half the calories of a banana.
- Feeling a cold coming on? One serving of 8 strawberries has more vitamin C than an orange — 140% of the recommended daily value. So, go ahead and crush those strawberries!
- Strawberries are FULL of beneficial antioxidants and nutrients, including potassium, folate and fiber. In fact, these antioxidants, fiber, and phytochemicals have been shown to reduce total cholesterol levels. Plus all that potassium in them can help control blood pressure and fight strokes. (Source: California Strawberries)
I was so excited when California Strawberries asked me to create a dish using ALL. THE. STRAWBERRIES. I mean how could I say no! Like I said earlier, I love using strawberries in recipes, as they really add a depth of flavor in both sweet and savory dishes. But everyone uses strawberries in sweet recipes and since I’m not everybody I went for the savory. Enter this Strawberry Bacon Spread.
Hands down, this is probably one of my favorite recipes I’ve ever created. The sweetness from the strawberries and the savory from the bacon. It’s literally a mouth explosion of goodness. But here’s the thing….like most mouth explosions of goodness, this takes a little time. But don’t be discouraged because the end result is WORTH THE WAIT!
- 6 pieces of applewood smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh California Strawberries
- 1 yellow onion, sliced and caramalized
- 1 tbl oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar + 3 tbs (or 2 tbl reduced balsamic)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- OPTIONAL: chopped jalapeno
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place bacon on a foil lined baking sheet.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbl of oil.
- Add your onions and turn heat to medium-low. Cook for 2 minutes then add in 1 tbs of balsamic vinegar. Mix to combine.
- Keeping on med-low, slowly cook the onion for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent from burning. You want to caramelize the onion.
- While the onion is cooking, stick your bacon in the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
- Once bacon is done, remove and place on paper towel to soak up the grease.
- Cut the bacon up, but not too small because you'll be chopping it later in your food processor.
- Add your cut bacon and chopped fresh strawberries to the caramelized onions and slowly pour in your 1/2 cup water. Mix well.
- Let cook for 15 minutes stirring twice during that time. You will notice everything start to thicken up into a "jam" like consistency.
- Once thick, turn off heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Take mixture and place into a food processor and roughly chop until it has a spreadable consistency.
- Enjoy over EVERYTHING
If you are feeling adventurous, mix in some chopped jalapeno when you put in your strawberries! This spread will last about a week in the fridge (if it even lasts that long) and is ah-mazing on sweet potato toast, a regular crostini, over eggs, or my personal favorite…..grilled cheese!
Tell me….how do you guys eat 8-a-day? Do you just scarf them into your mouth, or do you put them into recipes?
*Disclosure: this is a sponsored post by California Strawberries and I was compensated via cash, gift, or something else of value to write about it. All opinions and thoughts are by own!!