There is a restaurant in the Santa Cruz area that has the BEST brussels sprouts I have ever put into my mouth. We go about twice a year and seriously guys….I think about it for like 3 weeks straight after eating them! Last time we were there I asked them what made their brussels so DREAMY and they said that they fry the parsley that goes on top. My mind was blown! Fried parsley; that is GENIUS!
I had been holding out on making them, that is until I got some delicious bacon from Wellshire. If you have never had Wellshire bacon before, you guys are seriously missing out!! They have a whole30 approved bacon for all you whole30’ers out there reading this, but my favorite is their dry rubbed peppered bacon. Dude guys, there bacon is so good we actually gifted it to people for Christmas a couple years ago!! I buy mine at our local Whole Foods, but you can also order online HERE.
Anywho (does anyone even say ‘anywho’ anymore) I’m pretty sure I made this like 4 days in a row. When you read the recipe, you may think that the combo is a little odd, but holy moly does it work!! You can leave out the red chili flakes if you have little kids, or even if you are a spice hater, but I really suggest just putting in a little, tasting and seeing how much you can actually handle. Remember once the vinaigrette has mingled with the bacon and the roasted brussels sprouts, the spicy note is pretty subtle!
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 pieces of bacon, chopped
- 1/4 c roughly chopped walnuts
- 2 tbl capers
- 1/2 cup italian parsley
- FOR DRESSING
- 1 tbl red chili flakes
- 1 tbl red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup oil (olive or avocado works)
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place halved brussels on a baking sheet,and drizzle with some oil.
- Bake for 10 min, then flip and bake another 10-15 min or until nice and roasted.
- While brussels are cooking, heat up a pan.
- Add chopped bacon and cook it up. Once done remove and set aside.
- In the same pan (with the bacon grease still in) take your walnuts and capers and stir around for a couple of minutes getting them nice and toasty. Remove and set aside.
- Next take the tops of the parsley off and put in same pan. "Fry" the parsley until it becomes nice and crispy.
- When brussels sprouts are done, place in bowl. Add bacon, walnuts, and capers and combine. Drizzle vinaigrette all over, then top with crispified parsley.
- TO MAKE DRESSING simply put all ingredients in a little jar and shake to combine.
Once you make this you will have a hard time with…
1. not wanting to make it for the rest of the week and
2. wanting to share.
I’ve made it before and didn’t even tell my husband. I’m selfish like that. I kid, I kid. (but not really) So, go pick yourself up some Wellshire bacon at your local Whole Foods (or online) and make this stat! Oh; and if you are feeling extra frisky, sprinkle some more red chili flakes over the top!!