I may be late on this train, but have you guys ever roasted cauliflower whole? Well, I just did a few weeks ago and this may be the only way I cook cauliflower from now on. You basically plop the cauliflower in a pan and then let it do its thing!! Easy peasy right!!!?!
Now, I know that you guys are all asking yourselves; “yah, but does it cook all the way through?” Yes, Yes it does!! Roasting it whole does take a little more time, but the end result is so worth it. If you notice the tops getting a little more golden than you’d like, simply cover it loosely with some foil. Make a little tent. A cauliflower tent.
The method is very simple. You can add any seasonings that you’d like or you can follow my recipe below!
- Head of cauliflower, leaves removed
- 1/4 c melted ghee
- 1 tbl lemon zest
- 2 tbl capers
- 1 tbl oil (for the capers)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Remove leaves of cauliflower being careful not to remove the core.
- Place cauliflower in a cast iron skillet or baking dish and brush melted ghee all over the cauliflower.
- Roast for 20 min, then brush with some more ghee (I also like to rotate the skillet in the oven) and cook another 20 min or until you can poke easily with a fork.
- While cauliflower is roasting, take a small pan and heat up your oil.
- Once hot, turn to medium and put capers into pan. Let cook for 3-5 min or until they get darker and crispy.
- When cauliflower is done, squeeze lemon over top, add the crispy capers, lemon zest and top with fresh parsley!
While you roast your whole cauliflower for the first time ( I know it will be the first time for a lot of you) go ahead and get your capers nice and crispy (probably for the first time also 😉 ) I love love love the taste of a crispy caper. And paired with the lemon and the cauliflower…..heaven I tell ya! HEAVEN!
As I said earlier, use whatever you have on hand, or whatever you like on/with your cauliflower. If cauliflower and bacon is your thing, then by all means; top that bad boy with all the bacon. Want to keep it simple with a few of your favorite seasonings! Go right ahead. Don’t have butter or ghee? Use oil!!
Tell me, what do you like paired with your cauliflower? Do you like to put all the things on it, or is simple your thing?