I randomly found one lonely potato this morning while searching for some breakfast for the kids and I. Automatically a few questions popped into my mind….
1. Why the heck do I only have 1 medium potato lying around?
2. If I take off a couple of these root things growing out of it, it would still be okay to eat right?
3. Would the kids notice if I just made this for myself?
2 out of the 3 questions were answered. Yes, you can take the roots off and not die and my kids most definitely noticed. I still have no idea why this potato was lurking in my kitchen though…..
Anyway, this dish takes a bit of time to cook, mostly because you have to wait for the potato to bake. This would be great for a brunch meal on a lazy weekend when you have nothing else better to do than whip up awesomeness in your kitchen. The recipe call for 1, but feel free to make a bunch of these. You can also bake up a bunch of potatoes earlier in the week and save yourself a bunch of time!
- 1 med russet potato
- 1 strip of bacon, torn into small pieces
- A few leaves of spinach, torn
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- avocado oil for rubbing on the potato
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Clean your potato, rub oil all over skin, lightly salt it, and place in oven safe dish. (I also poke a few holes in the potato)
- Place in oven and cook for 40 min or until done.
- While potato is baking, cook bacon, and tear into small pieces.
- Cut green onion and tear spinach up.
- Once potato is done, let cool so you can touch it. Slice it open and remove some potato making a "bowl"
- Put some spinach in the bottom, followed by bacon pieces, followed by the egg.
- Turn oven down to 350° and cook for 15 min.
- Take out and top with more bacon crumbles, spinach, and green onion.
If regular potatoes aren’t your thing, make this in a sweet potato. It will result in the same greatness.