I’ve been wanting to make something that was fresh and simple before tomatoes were no longer in season and this tomato burst sauce does just that. Guys, this is so simple to make. Like stupid simple. For as simple as this recipe is, it is “bursting” with flavor! Get it?! “Bursting”….tomato “burst” sauce. (Just smack me right now!)
The trick to cooking this heavenly tomato sauce is cooking it on low heat for at least 30 minutes. The tomatoes will start to blister then they will “burst” when you press down on them. What is left is a super sexy pot of tomato sauce. Like super sexy. I mean come on, tell me you aren’t licking your lips right now!! lol.
If you wanted to add some meat into it, I highly suggest pancetta. The salty with the tomato; major MAJOR swoonage. Italian sausage would also be great in this. #obviously. The sauce can also be stored in the freezer until you want to use it again. We put it over fatty zucchini noodles, but feel free to put it over whatever you like. Like I said, you can pretty much add whatever you feel like adding to it and it will be good.
- 4 baskets of cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 c tomato paste
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 or so basil leaves, chiffonade
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbl italian seasoning
- 1 tbl avocado oil or oil of choice
- OPTIONAL: pancetta
- In a large cast iron skillet, or large pot heat up oil.
- Slice all the tomatoes in half and place them in the skillet on medium-low.
- Stir around and let cook until you start to see the tomatoes blister.
- Add in the minced garlic and tomato paste and stir again getting everything well mixed.
- Let cook on low for at least 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes until tomatoes start to "pop" out of their skin. You may need to push down on them a bit.
- With 5 min left add in the basil and italian seasoning.
- Stir and let cook on low until nice and thick.
- Spoon over zucchini noodles or whatever you like and add some fresh basil over the top
If using pancetta, cook it up before you put the tomatoes in. Remove pancetta and then add the tomatoes to pan. Once sauce is done mix the pancetta back into it.
If you are looking for something to make to get your kids more involved in the kitchen, this is a great dish to start out with. Amazon has “kid” knives and you can find them here. If you are new to cooking this is also for you. All you are doing is cutting and stirring. If you are not ready to put it over zucchini noodles, put it over regular noodles. I’m not your mama, so I’m not gonna tell you what to put it on. Honestly, its gonna be good on anything, but I would love to know what you would use it on or in! If you have any delicious suggestions tell me in the comments or head over to my Instagram page and tell me there!!