Artichoke Chimichurri

I’m officially declaring summer 2016 as the chimichurri summer. I’ve made it probably every week this summer. It’s just so damn good on everything. EVERYTHING I say!! (sorry to yell)

untitled (1 of 1)

The great thing about chimichurri is that, one, it is so versatile. You can literally put it on anything and it will make it spectacular!  And two, it’s a great way to use up those fresh herbs that are looking a little sad in the fridge. Adding in the artichoke hearts makes this sauce even more delicious, adding in a creaminess that will make your heart skip a beat.

Artichoke Chimichurri

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients

• 1 can of quartered artichoke hearts(in water)
  • 1 bunch of cilantro (don't forget to use the stems too)
  • 1 bunch of parsley
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1/4 c red wine vinegar
  • 1/2 cup oil of choice. I prefer avocado
  • OPTIONAL: Chili pepper flakes

Instructions

1. Add all ingredients into a food processor or blender
  2. Blend until smooth.

Notes

You may need to add a bit more vinegar or oil. Taste and adjust accordingly. Store in a mason jar or air tight container in the fridge for about a week.

Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by Yummly Rich Recipes

Not sure what to put this sauce on….don’t worry, I got your back.

Use as a marinade on shrimp or chicken.

Use as a salad dressing

Drizzle over your roasted potatoes

Heck, drizzle it over any roasted vegetable

Put it over steak

Mix it into coleslaw and put it on tacos for “taco Tuesday”

Tell me, what would you slather this chimichurri on?

Whole30: yes

Paleo: yes

10 comments

1. Stephanie says:

Holy goodness. I love chimichurri and happend to have marinated artichokes and all the herbs in my fridge. This is stuff is fabulous. I will make it again for sure. The only problem is I made a double batch, too much to keep for a week so I am freezing leftovers in individual servings using a icecream scoops on parchment. Hope it retains its flavor and texture.

• Pretend it's a Donut says:

oh Stephanie! Freezing it sounds like such a great idea. I’ve frozen other herb mixtures and it still had good flavor, so hopefully this will too!

2. Karlene says:

Do you drain the artichoke hearts? I made this tonight (and it was DELICIOUS!!) but I had to add some extra oil and vinegar to get it to blend. I drained the artichoke hearts, though, and maybe that was the extra liquid I needed? Thank you for sharing the recipe! 🙂

• Pretend it's a Donut says:

I did drain the artichoke hearts, but I always do a crappy job draining, so I probably had leftovers. The 2nd time I made this, I also had to add more oil. Glad you were able to play around with it to make it work for you!! 🙂

3. Jeannette says:

The best thing ever. I have it on all the things…my eggs, my salads, my steak. I also mix it with my home made mayo to make a veggie dipping sauce. Great recipe!

• Pretend it's a Donut says:

haha, my sister in law doesn’t like cilantro either! we think she’s weird!! lol, jk. Anyway, I would omit the cilantro entirely and add juice of 1/2 lemon to the ingredients. There really isn’t a substitution for cilantro. You could maybe try fresh oregano, but I have never tried that before. I know some people put fresh oregano into their chimichurri. Or maybe just try adding a little tiny bit of cilantro. You may not even taste it with all the other ingredients and with it blended all together. If you try it a different way, let me know how it goes!!