I have been trying to perfect this bolognese recipe for awhile now, and I have FINALLY done it. Not that bolognese is hard to make, it’s basically just a meat sauce, but I wanted to take it above and beyond and also make it Whole30, as most have some sort of cheese in it. I promise, you won’t even miss the cheese. Not one bit!
What I really love about any meat sauce is that it goes great with literally anything. I love it over zoodles, but also stuffed into bell peppers, over any type of mashed anything (lol) and even with a crispy egg in the morning! We usually make a lot, because it is just so dang good, but also because it freezes extremely well. And you all know, as a mom of 5 it’s nice to just grab something that is already made, especially on those super busy days.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 pieces bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 1 28 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained a little
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- splash of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbs oil or ghee
- Heat oil or ghee in a big pan. Once hot, add in your ground beef. Let cook until just about browned and then set aside.
- In the same pan add chopped bacon and let cook up. (3-5 min) Add in your garlic and onion and mix well.
- Add carrots and mushrooms and mix. Then add the ground beef back into the pan.
- Throw in your diced tomatoes, oregano, apple cider vinegar, and tomato paste and stir well. Bring to a boil and then bring down to a simmer. Cover and let cook for 20 min.
- Once done top with fresh basil.
UPDATE: If you want to make this in the Instant Pot, first saute up your bacon using the saute method. (make sure you cut the bacon up first) Then place all the rest of the ingredients into the pot with a 1/2 cup of water or broth. Close the lid and set on Meat/Stew for 20 minutes. Manually release pressure when done. Stir and enjoy.