I have been trying to perfect this dang bolognese recipe for awhile now, and I FINALLY have done it. Not that bolognese is hard to make, it’s just a meat sauce, but I wanted to take it above and beyond and to also “whole-thirtify” it, as most have some sort of cheese in it.
Anyway, this sauce is the shiz. All you Italian’s can go ahead and pat me on the back, or raise a glass, cause I nailed it! I suggest making a ton. It freezes really well and goes great on pretty much anything!!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 pieces bacon, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 1 28 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained a little
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- splash of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbs oil or ghee
- Heat oil or ghee in a big pan. Once hot, add in your ground beef. Let cook until just about browned and then set aside.
- In the same pan add chopped bacon and let cook up. (3-5 min) Add in your garlic and onion and mix well.
- Add carrots and mushrooms and mix. Then add the ground beef back into the pan.
- Throw in your diced tomatoes, oregano, apple cider vinegar, and tomato paste and stir well. Bring to a boil and then bring down to a simmer. Cover and let cook for 20 min.
- Once done top with fresh basil.
If you try it out, let me know what you put it on top of. We like it over zucchini noodles, over cauliflower mash or rice, or stuffed into a bell pepper.