Are you ready for you mind to be blown? This carbonara will do that to you, and its so good that I almost want you to just skip down to the recipe. (which you can……I guess) 😉
The secret to this carbonara is steaming your onions. Yup that’s right steam them bad boys! I cut them into ribbons almost making them “noodle” like, then added them to the spaghetti squash at the end. When you steam them, the onion becomes sweet and they actually retain their form better than if you were to saute them, so you can get fancy and twirl it around a fork!!
- 2 spaghetti squash, sliced in half
- 1 yellow onion, sliced into ribbons
- 5 strips of bacon, chopped
- handful of spinach
- 1/4 c canned coconut milk (I like Thai Kitchen)
- 2 eggs
- drizzle of oil (for squash)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley (fresh or dried) as garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- While oven is preheating, slice spaghetti squash in half, clean out seeds and drizzle oil on the inside. Place flesh side down on a baking dish and bake for 40-45 min.
- Cut you onion into long ribbons and put into a steam basket over boiling pot of water. Cover and let steam for 10 min or until onions are translucent and the sharp onion flavor has mellowed out.
- While onions and squash is cooking away, cut up bacon into pieces and cook up. Once done, remove and place on a paper towel to soak up grease.
- Take a small bowl and whisk 2 eggs with the coconut milk. Set aside
- Once squash is done take a fork and pull the strands off of the skin.
- Put into a bowl along with the onion ribbons.
- While spaghetti squash and onions are still hot, slowly pour the egg mixture into the bowl, stirring the whole time. This will help so that the eggs don't scramble.
- Add in bacon, spinach, garlic powder, salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Garnish with parsley and enjoy
You may not need to use the whole egg mixture. Stop pouring once it looks nice and creamy.
This fed all 7 of us with no leftovers. I wish I had made more because my kids all wanted seconds of it and my husband is ALWAYS starving!