I have a rather embarrassing story about calamari…..
When I was about 8, my family and I hit up the new Olive Garden in town. We ordered a couple of appetizers, one of those being calamari. When the plate came out included was tentacles. I was so excited to try them and when the waitress came to pick up the plate I proceeded to tell her how much I loved eating testicles. Yup, that’s right….testicles!! It was pretty embarrassing and my face still gets a bit red when I see calamari!
These are (obviously) the healthy, whole30, and paleo version of the deep fried calamari we all know and love! But you won’t miss the oil-ified version because these are BOMB and you are going to want to get. on. that.
You can find calamari and almost all grocery stores; usually in the frozen meat section. Serve with cocktail sauce or a lemon garlic aioli and alongside a big fatty salad! Heck, why don’t you just live on the wild side and put the calamari into the salad!
- 1 package of calamari, tubes sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tbl favorite seasoning mixture (I like Everyday Seasoning from Trader Joe's)
- OPTIONAL: squeeze of lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Take your calamari, wash and pat dry with a towel.
- Slice tubes to be at least 1/4 inch thick.
- Grab 2 bowls. In one of them add the flour and seasoning. In the other add a beaten egg.
- Dredge the calamari (dip into the egg, then into the flour)
- Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 5 min. Flip and bake another 3-5 min or until golden brown.