Fall is finally upon us and although it’s still scorching hot in California, I can’t help but want to make a bunch of fall dishes.
You know what’s great about fall too….apple season, which in my opinion is WAY better than pumpkin season! Don’t get me wrong, I like pumpkin, but I think apples really should be highlighted more!
These baked hassleback apples scream fall to me an my house smells ah-mazing.
- • 2 apples, cored and sliced in half
- • 1/4 c ghee, melted + 1 tbl
- • 1 tbl cinnamon + 1 tsp
- • 1/4 c oats
- • 1 tsp coconut sugar
- • frozen bananas ( for ice cream)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Core your apple and slice in half. Carefully make thin slices length wise on each half. Do not cut all the way through!
- Place in baking dish and lightly brush melted ghee over apples. Top with cinnamon, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 min.
- Once 15 min is up, uncover, brush with a little more ghee and stick back in oven for another 10.
- Remove from oven, take a knife and carefully pull pieces of apple apart a bit. Stick back in oven for another 7 min.
- When apples are baking for the last time, take your frozen bananas and blend them up until it forms "ice cream"
- Mix oats, coconut sugar, 1 tbl ghee, and 1 tsp cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Plate apples, spreading each piece out and put ice cream over. Sprinkle with oat mixture and enjoy!
Obviously, you can replace the banana ice cream with vanilla bean ice cream.
Whole30: no (swypo)
Paleo: no (omit oat topping to be paleo)