Meatloaf. People either love it, or hate it. Am I right?!! I think when people think of meatloaf they think of it being super dry. Because honestly, all meatloaf is, is a gigantic meatball. I mean think about it…..the ingredients are almost similar, yet you never see people complaining about meatballs. Meatloaf on the other hand; it always gets the raw end of the deal.
But fear not meatloaf haters, this recipe will change your ways. The only thing I wish is that meatloaf would photograph prettier. I’m not gonna lie, I googled “how to photograph meatloaf” because pictures are everything!! You just need to trust me and make this yourself. Another plus, your kids will love it and it’s even got carrots hidden in it. They will never know. I’m pretty sure it’s because of the bacon.
- 2-3 lbs ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 c dried minced onion
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 c tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled plus an additional 4 pieces (raw) for the top
- ketchup or bbq sauce, to brush over loaf (I love Tessemaes)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- While oven is preheating, cook up a few strips of bacon (I cut with cooking scissors first), then place into a large bowl.
- In the same pan cook up your carrots for a few min just to get them a little soft
- In the bowl you put the bacon in,add meat, spices, carrot, and egg. Mix around with your hands until combined.
- Take a loaf pan (or a broiler pan) and put meat inside.
- Brush ketchup or bbq sauce over loaf then top with strips of bacon.
- Cook for 45 min and let rest for about 5.
- If you make the meatloaf in a bread pan, you will need to suck out some of the extra fat after it is done cooking.