We’ve been sick with a very lame (probably the lamest) head cold and all I’ve wanted is soup. Soup for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The rest of my family, well they disagree.
“Soup for breakfast mama, that’s just weird.” “Please mama, NOOOO more soup, we don’t care how sick we are!” Okay, okay, I get it guys.
So instead I made beef stew (which in my mind is definitely still soup) but the kids don’t know that yet! They were so happy to not eat “soup” that they had 3rds.
If you are in the mood for soup, but the rest of your family begs you to not make soup again for awhile, make stew instead. Its thicker and you’ll easily be able to trick your kids. Easily.
BEEF STEW WITH CAULIFLOWER MASH
– 2 lbs stew meat
– 3 carrots cut into 4ths (or baby carrots)
– 4 cups beef broth
– 2 tbl or so tomato paste
– 1 tbl or so Worcestershire
– 1/2 c balsamic vinegar
– 1 tsp paprika
– 1 yellow onion, sliced
– 2 cloves garlic minced
– salt and pepper to taste
-1 head cauliflower, steamed
– In a dutch oven heat oil. Add meat and cook until sides are brown. Remove from heat.
– Add onion, and garlic and cook for a couple min. Add meat back into pot.
– Pour in beef broth, balsamic, Worcestershire, tomato paste and seasonings. Stir and set heat to low for 1 hr covered.
– After an hour throw in your carrots and cover back home. Cook another 10-20 min or until carrots are soft.
– Spoon on top of mashed potatoes or cauliflower mash.
– to make cauliflower mash, steam cauliflower until soft.
– place in bowl and use an immersion blender or masher to mash up.
– Add garlic powder and dried parsley and stir around.
***if doing Whole30, make sure balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire are compliant***