Christmas is just around the corner and I’ve been in the kitchen baking scrumptious treats for our family and friends.
Usually, we buy from our local confectionary, but holy moly, that can get so expensive….so we decided to go the homemade gift approach.
Yesterday, I practiced my panettone skills and they turned out pretty scrumptious. A bit dense, but non the less delicious. All it needs is an orange glaze!
Today I tried shortbread cookies with clementine slices. They are paleo and they pretty much rocked our world.
PALEO SHORTBREAD COOKIES WITH CLEMENTINE SLICES
**side note: since this was just practice, I made half the amount of dough. This only made 5 cookies. Keep in mind, you have to place slices on top, so the cookie is quite big.
– 1 Clementine, sliced very thinly.
– 2 Cups almond flour
– 1/4 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
– 4 tbl ghee or clarified butter
– 4 tbl pure maple sugar
– clementine zest
– 1 tsp salt
– OPTIONAL: sprinkle of raw sugar over top. This will make it not paleo, but if you aren’t crazy strict about paleo totally add it! It helps candy the clementine.
– Mix all ingredients together with mixer. Dough will be crumbly and a bit sticky.
– Place in plastic wrap and put in fridge for at least an hour or more.
– Preheat oven to 325°
– Slice Clementine’s very thinly. Keep the skin on as it will “candy” as it cooks. Place clementine slice on top of cookie. I made a groove inside making sure the slice was in the cookie.
– Bake for 16-20 min checking to make sure the cookie is not getting to brown.
– Cool for 10 min and enjoy.
P.s. We ate them all about 2 min after I took the above picture.
Also, these are a crumbly cookie!