Our local Whole Foods was having a crazy good sale on crab the other day. Not many people can pass up $3.99 lb, especially whole fresh wild crab. That’s probably why the line wrapped halfway down the store!
Anyway, I bought my limit and the whole way home was thinking of different ways to devour the crab. And then in the middle of night with crab still on my mind I thought I would make a version of an eggs benedict with crab. I mean how hard could it be….crack crab, poach an egg, and make hollandaise sauce.
This was BOMB!! Like so bomb, I wish I had cracked more crab.
The hollandaise sauce I made is whole30 and paleo friendly too.
EGGS BENEDICT OVER CRAB
– handful of fresh crab meat
– 1 egg (for poaching)
– 2 egg yolks
– 1 tsp Dijon mustard
– 1/2 fresh lemon juice
– 1/4 or so of ghee or butter
– Crack crab and set meat aside
– To poach egg, bring a small pot to a very slow boil with only 3 in of water.
– Once bubbles start forming take your egg (crack egg in a shallow bowl 1st) and slowly place into pot.
**TIP**: take your spoon and swirl water before you put in the egg.
– Let cook for 3-4 min
– While egg is poaching make sauce by adding egg, Dijon, and lemon juice to bowl. Whisk until combined.
– Melt ghee (or butter) and slowly pour into the eggs while whisking.
– Take poached egg out and place on top of crab. Immediately drizzle hollandaise sauce over top.