When I was little, there was a Mexican restaurant that my family ate at frequently. They had the best chicken soup there. I could eat it by the bucketful…..the other day I was feeling a little nostalgic and decided to recreate the awesomeness that is this soup. And let me tell you, I didn’t disappoint myself!! Lol.
The great thing about soup is you can usually make it for super cheap and you can freeze it. Although, I never seem to make enough for my 5 kids and husband. Oinkers I tell ya!!
Everything in this soup is whole30 compliant, but feel free to add rice, bean, or even tortilla strips.
- -1 red onion, diced
- -4 carrots, sliced
- -3 celery shoots, sliced
- -1 whole raw chicken, taken apart to fit in pot
- -2 tbl of the following: cumin, paprika, garlic powder
- -1 tbl of the following: cayenne, oregano
- - cilantro
- -juice of 2 limes
- -vegetable broth (the whole box)
- -8 cups of water
- -4 avocados, diced
- In a pot cook up diced onion, carrot, and celery until a little soft.
- De-glaze pot by pouring a bit of vegetable broth in.
- Place your raw chicken on top of the vegetables and cover with the remaining vegetable broth and water. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium, add spices and cover.
- Cook for about 40 min. Take chicken out and meat should peel off pretty easily. Cut into pieces and throw back into the pot.
- Add lime juice and diced avocado. Let simmer for another 5-10 min.
Pour into bowls and garnish with cilantro. Slurp it up.